Aging and other environmental damages affect the texture and appearance of your skin but there are some patches or marks that appear on the skin by birth and are known as birthmarks.
What are birthmarks?
- Birthmarks are basically congenital spots or marks on the skin having variations in color.
- Though birthmarks appear before birth, they may also appear after the child is born.
- Birthmarks vary depending on their texture, size, color and depth.
- While most of the birthmarks are benign and do not cause any harm, some may lead to severe conditions if not treated properly and timely.
Symptoms of birthmarks:
- Different types of birthmarks show different symptoms
- Pigmented birthmarks do not have any symptoms expect for the coloration
- Abnormally dark or light skin can be an indication
- Vascular birthmarks can show some notable symptoms.
- Hemangiomas appear as flat lesions at the time of birth but enlarge rapidly over the next few months
- Some birthmarks also ulcerate and gradually disappear at their own, leaving behind just a faint scar
What causes birthmarks?
- Most of the children get the birthmarks that are caused by uneven or extra pigmentation of the skin.
- In some children birthmarks are also caused by abnormalities of blood vessels.
- Some birthmarks occur in people with certain genetic disorders such as neurofibromatosis.
- People with dark skin are susceptible to a specific type of birthmarks known as Mongolian spots
Risk Factors of birthmarks:
Birthmarks generally appear unpredictably, but there are certain factors that can increase a person’s susceptibility to developing these unsightly marks. These include:
- Unusually light skin tone
- Traumatic Birth
- Prolonged Birth
- Genetic Factors
- Ingestion of Untested Medications
All are birthmarks the same?
There are two main types of birthmarks – pigmented birthmarks and vascular birthmarks. They are further divided into different types:
- Pigmented birthmarks: Pigments are basically colors and pigmented birthmarks are the spots and marks appearing on the skin due to pigments on that part of skin. Here are some specified types of pigmented birthmarks.
- Vascular birthmarks: Vascular birthmarks appear on the skin when blood vessels clump together or due to other disorders, they become prominent and start appearing on the skin. More than one in every ten babies gets these marks on the skin. More specified types of such type of marks are given below.
- The salmon patch birthmark
- Port wine birthmark
- Strawberry hemangioma birthmark
- Cavernous hemangioma birthmark
- Venous malformations
How can I treat birthmarks?
There are numerous options available for treating birthmarks. Selection of treatment greatly depends on the prediction about the progress of birthmark. But Laser Treatment for Birthmarks Removal is the most recommended and the most appreciated procedure for ridding these unsightly color spots and lesions.
Laser Machines Used:
At Laser Skincare Clinic we use following two laser machines:
- Q-switched NDYAG Laser
- Q-TERRA NDYAG Laser
These are the same machines which are used for Laser Tattoo Removal and Laser Skin Rejuvenation.
Preparing for Laser Birthmarks removal:
Follow these instructions as you prepare for laser treatment
- Discuss your/your child’s medical history with the doctor during initial consultation
- Discuss with the doctor any medicines that you/your child has been taking during the last six months
- Avoid exposing treatment area to direct sunlight during the last two weeks before procedure
- Have a sound sleep the night before your birthmark removal
- Shower and clip or shave hair any hair at the treatment site
- Choose an appropriate, loose fitted dress that allows for birthmark visibility
- Apply the numbing cream at least 45-60 minutes before procedure
How the procedure is performed?
While there is a wide variety of treatments – topical medicines, injections and surgical procedures – available for treating birthmarks, Laser Treatment for Birthmarks is considered as the most effective one. It is a simple and safe procedure that has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Laser Treatment for Pigmented Birthmarks:
- Topical anesthesia or numbing cream is applied to the treatment site.
- A beam of laser is made incident at the birthmark.
- The laser beams penetrate into the mark underneath the skin, without damaging the outer skin layers.
- A special type of laser treatment, called Laser Photo Rejuvenation is used for eliminating pigmented birthmarks.
- It uses Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) to breakdown the pigment, which is then excreted out by the body’s immune system.
- This is how pigmented birthmark is removed.
Laser Treatment for Vascular Birthmarks:
- Vascular birthmarks treatment also begins with numbing cream application.
- Laser beams of a specific type and energy are then made incident at the birthmark.
- Heat energy from the lasers works by clogging the blood vessels.
- Over the time, the vessels shrink and fade away.
- Apply antibiotic ointment on the treated area as prescribed
- Scab and crust formation is normal. Avoid picking at the scab
- Do not expose treatment site to direct sunlight for at least a couple of months
- Generously apply sunscreen to protect treated area when going out during day time
- Do not apply makeup or any other cosmetic product that may irritate treated area
- Number of sessions: Depending on the texture, size and depth of birthmark only one session of laser therapy can give the results but in some cases more sessions are required for complete removal and with every session birthmark fades out.
- Cost of Birthmarks Treatment: Like any other part of the world, there is no fixed cost for Birthmarks Treatment in Abu Dhabi. Every surgeon will charge you differently depending upon the type and size of the mark as well as the laser type used.
Schedule FREE CONSULTATION
To know more about Laser Birthmarks Treatment in Dubai, contact us now. For FREE EXPERT ADVICE, fill the online consultation form below.