Stretch marks are visible off-colored stripes that appear on the skin surface, as a result of swift stretching of the skin. They may appear anywhere on the body, but are mainly found on the abdomen, especially when caused by pregnancy or obesity. Other areas that can be affected by stretch marks include thighs, upper arms, buttocks and breasts. Stretch marks are not caused by only excessive stretching of skin. Hormonal changes during pregnancy, adolescence and hormone replacement therapy etc. can also result in appearance of stretch marks. Other causes of stretch marks include sudden gain or loss in weight, rapid growth, heredity factors, stress and changes in physical conditions.
Whatever the reason may be behind the appearance of zebra streaks on your abdomen, arms or thighs, you can always get rid of them easily with some simple and easy to do home remedies. Here are 4 really effective, time-tested home remedies for stretch marks:
Castor oil has numerous skincare applications, from eliminating facial wrinkles and creases to treating age spots, dark spots, pimples and uneven skin pigmentation. You can also use castor oil to banish stretch marks.
- Take some castor oil and gently massage it onto the stretch marks for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wrap the massaged area in a fine cotton cloth.
- Apply some heat to the area through cotton cloth using a hot water bottle or a heating pad (25-30 minutes)
- Repeat this daily for 4 to 6 weeks to notice any significant change.
Egg white is rich in proteins and amino acids. Do not use egg yolk, only whites.
- Separate two egg whites from yolks and whip them gently using a fork until it is frothy.
- Thoroughly clean the affected areas and then apply a thick layer of beaten egg whites onto it.
- Allow the egg whites to dry completely and then rinse off with cold water.
- In the end apply some olive oil onto the skin to keep it moisturized.
- Repeat this process daily for a couple of weeks to notice any improvement.
Potato juice is rich in vitamins and minerals that are necessary for the growth and regeneration of skin cells. It offers a great way to repair damaged skin cells forming stretch marks.
- Take a medium sized potato and cut it into thick slices.
- Take one slice and rub it gently onto the stretch marks for 5-7 minutes.
- Keep on rubbing the potato slices onto the skin until the starch from the potato has completely covered the marks.
- Leave the potato juice on until it is completely dry.
- In the end wash off with lukewarm water and apply olive oil as moisturizer.
Cocoa butter is known for its anti-aging properties. It helps in achieving smooth skin by enhancing blood circulation, and this ultimately helps improve the appearance of stretch marks.
- The simplest way to use cocoa butter for stretch marks removal is to apply the butter over affected areas twice a day for a couple of months at least.
- Alternatively, mix half cup cocoa butter with one tablespoon each of wheat germ oil and grated beeswax.
- Also add in one teaspoon each of apricot kernel oil and vitamin E oil.
- Heat the mixture until beeswax melts and the mixture gets smooth consistency.
- Store the mixture in an airtight jar and apply it to the stretch marks two to three times a day for a few months.
If you fail to achieve desired results with these remedies then Laser Treatment for Stretch Marks Removal may be worth considering. For further details about how to remove stretch marks or schedule a procedure, fill the consultation form below.