Laser Tattoo Removal is a cosmetic treatment that involves using an intense laser beam to remove body tattoos. This treatment has proved more effective and safer than other harsher tattoo removal procedures that lead to severe pain and extensive downtimes.
When directed to the tattooed part of the skin, the laser beam gets absorbed into the pigmented areas. After absorption, this light beam transforms into heat, causing tattoo ink to shatter into microscopic particles. These particles later leave the body through lymphatic pathways.
Who is the Ideal Candidate for Laser Tattoo Removal?
Using lasers for tattoo removal is a safer treatment for most people willing to get rid of that permanent body art they once loved. However, they must fulfill a few candidacy criteria to ensure the best outcome. You are generally a good candidate for laser tattoo removal if you:
- Do not smoke, as it can hamper tissue recovery after the treatment
- Are overall healthy
- Are ready to undergo multiple treatment sessions scheduled over several months
Laser Equipment We Use for Tattoo Removal
At Laser Skin Care Clinic, we use state-of-the-art, advanced laser technology for tattoo removal. Here is a brief overview of the machines we use:
- PICO Genesis Enlighten iii Laser: The PICO Genesis Enlighten iii laser generates picosecond laser pulses that penetrate the skin and transform into heat energy. This heat breaks down tattoo ink pigments into tiny particles that later leave the body through lymphatic pathways. In addition to traditional 1064 nm and 532 nm wavelengths, PICO Genesis also uses 670 nm – the first true-red wavelength in picosecond laser technology.
- Q-Switched ND: YAG Laser: This laser technology also generates short pulses of high-intensity laser beams that penetrate down to the dermis and shatter tattoo ink into tiny fragments. The body’s immune system does the rest of the ink elimination job. Q-Switched ND: YAG laser works on 1064 nm and 532 nm wavelengths for tattoo removal.
What to Expect During the Laser Procedure for Tattoo Removal?
Laser tattoo removal is a quick procedure that remains quite comfortable if performed by a skilled practitioner. Here is a quick rundown of the steps involved in a typical laser tattoo removal session:
- First, The doctor will give you a pair of eye shields.
- Then, they will test your skin to determine the most suitable laser energy and required intensity of the laser beam.
- Before starting the treatment, they will apply a numbing solution to your skin to make it oblivious to pain.
- Once the treatment area is numb, the laser technician will direct short pulses of high-intensity light beam onto the treatment area. This light will get absorbed into the pigmented skin area only.
- Upon the procedure’s completion, the dermatologist will use an ointment and bandage to protect the treated area.
Generally, a smaller tattoo requires fewer laser pulses per session than a larger one. Moreover, since one laser session only reduces the appearance of the tattoo’s ink, you will need to get repeated sessions to get rid of the tattoo. And every subsequent laser session brings noticeable reductions in the tattoo appearance.
Tattoo Removal Aftercare Instructions
Aftercare instructions mainly constitute a set of guidelines that help you get the best outcome of laser tattoo removal treatment. The great news is undergoing this treatment won’t require you to abide by a long list of post-treatment care instructions.
- It is generally advisable to apply ointment to the treated area for a few days after the laser session to mitigate the risk of infection. This will also help reduce the chances of scarring.
- After the treatment, you must not go out in the sun unprotected for a few days. It is best to use sunscreen to protect the treated area from harmful UV rays.
- Generally, a downtime of a maximum of five days is required after laser tattoo removal. This downtime is significantly less than that of other aggressive tattoo removal treatments.
Benefits of Removing Tattoos with Lasers
Laser tattoo removal is undoubtedly the better method to remove tattoos than other alternative methods for various reasons, for instance:
- It is a safe and highly effective technique. It causes minimal skin damage and fewer side effects than surgical or other aggressive tattoo removal methods. This treatment also carries a reduced risk of infection.
- Since laser tattoo removal doesn’t involve incisions or abrasions, it can help treat tattoos of just about any size.
- The intense light beam used in this treatment can help break down even deep-settled tattoo ink.
Before and After Results
Laser Tattoo Removal Cost in Dubai
The average starting price of laser tattoo removal at our clinic in Dubai is AED 500. The following factors also determine the cost of this treatment:
- Tattoo size
- Tattoo color
- How well the tattoo has been crafted
- The expertise of the physician
To learn more about the cost of laser tattoo removal at Laser Skin Care Clinic, please visit the cost page.
Laser Tattoo Removal FAQs
Can a tattoo be removed in one session?
The short answer is no. You will have to undergo multiple laser treatment sessions to make a tattoo invisible. The exact number of treatment sessions required is based on the tattooed area, tattoo age, type and color of the ink used, and depth of the tattoo pigment. On average, it takes anywhere between 6 and 10 laser sessions to remove a body tattoo.
Is laser tattoo removal painful?
Contrary to popular belief, laser tattoo removal is not entirely without pain. Removing a tattoo with lasers may hurt but not as much as getting a tattoo does. Most people undergoing this treatment describe its pain as a sensation similar to having a bad sunburn, which is tolerable. Generally, the dermatologist applies a numbing cream or topical anesthetic solution to make the treatment procedure pain-free.
What are the side effects of laser tattoo removal?
Laser tattoo removal is safer and causes fewer and milder side effects than the likes of dermabrasion, salarasion, and cryosurgery. Temporary pain and swelling after the laser procedure are commonplace and are not a cause of concern. However, severe side effects, such as infection, discoloration, and scarring, may occur if an inexperienced practitioner performs the treatment. Otherwise, these severe complications are significantly less likely to occur.
Does laser treatment completely remove a tattoo?
No, laser tattoo removal treatment does not usually remove a tattoo entirely. Instead, this treatment makes a tattoo almost unnoticeable by fading its pigment.
Schedule a Consultation
A body tattoo is no longer a design that you cannot get rid of, thanks to the advancement in laser technology. If you want to get your tattoo removed with the help of laser treatment, be sure to choose a reputable clinic. Laser Skin Care Clinic offers laser tattoo removal from the hands of highly experienced dermatologists who help you say goodbye to those regrettable sketches on your body without suffering significant side effects.