Numerous skin conditions can affect a person at various stages of life. Some can be present at the time of birth, while others may develop soon after and are known as birthmarks. Hemangiomas, a type of birthmark, also fall into this category. Hemangiomas occur on the skin’s surface due to an abnormality of blood vessels. In order to counter them, there are treatments available. But before discussing the best Hemangiomas Treatment in Dubai, let’s learn about these nevi, their types, symptoms, and causes.
What are hemangiomas?
Hemangiomas is derived from the Greek terms “haema,” which means blood, “angeio,” which means a vessel, and “oma,” which means tumor. Hemangiomas are benign tumors formed by the accumulation of blood vessels at one spot in an unnatural manner. Usually, they are present at birth, but they can also develop soon after birth.
Types of Hemangiomas
Based on their color and the types of vessels that cause them, Hemangiomas in Dubai are divided into the following types:
- Strawberry hemangioma: These are spots and patches on the skin that generally have a dark red color, as the name strawberry suggests. Mainly these red patches occur on the neck and face. They can occur at any age, but most commonly, they develop by birth or just after birth.
- Capillary hemangioma: In Capillary Hemangioma, tumors arise in the capillaries (tiny blood vessels).
- Cavernous hemangioma: In the case of Cavernous Hemangioma, tumors arise in the veins of the vascular system.
- Compound hemangiomas: These nevi result from a combination of capillary Hemangioma and cavernous Hemangioma.
- Intramuscular hemangioma: This type of hemangioma involves blood vessel growth within the muscle tissue.
- Internal organ hemangioma: As the name suggests, these occur in the body’s internal organs, most commonly in the liver and intestines.
- Vertebral hemangioma: They occur in the vertebrae(The bones, muscles, tendons, and other tissues that reach from the base of the skull to the tailbone) and are more common in people aged between 50 and 70.
Causes of Hemangiomas
While the exact cause of Hemangiomas is still unknown, researchers believe that they can be caused by:
- Genetics and hereditary traits
- Hormonal imbalance especially disturbed estrogen levels in females
- Overgrowth of a particular type of cells (endothelial cells) that usually make up the blood vessels in the skin
Symptoms of Hemangiomas
Superficial hemangiomas usually do not cause any symptoms other than their appearance, which can be a red or pink raised area on the skin or skin pigmentation. However, internal organ hemangiomas may cause some symptoms as they grow large, generally, these symptoms include
- abdominal discomfort
- loss of appetite
- unexplained weight loss
- a feeling of fullness in the abdomen
Laser treatment for Hemangioma
Not all hemangiomas are suitable for laser treatment; the treatment depends on the type, location, and size of the hemangioma. Most Hemangiomas fade away with time without needing any special treatment. However, if they persist or grow in size, they can be treated, and the best option is laser treatment. The laser aims to reduce the size and appearance of the hemangioma by targeting the blood vessels within the lesion. The process is quite simple and almost similar to Birthmarks treatment.
- The procedure does not take long to complete and candidates can return to their activities immediately after the procedure.
- The dermatologist uses local anesthesia to avoid any potential discomfort. For smaller lesions, even a numbing cream would work.
- During the treatment, the laser beam is directed at the hemangioma present at the skin’s surface.
- The laser is set at specific wavelengths to ensure that the skin tissue nearby is not affected.
- Laser beams penetrate deep into the skin, and convert into heat energy, breaking down the pigmented lesions.
- Generally, lasers do not require any cutting or stitching of the skin and help reduce inflammation.
- A cooling device minimizes potential discomfort caused by the heat of lasers.
Before and After Results
Laser Treatment for Hemangiomas is generally safe and does not cause any long-term complications. However, following aftercare instructions can make recovery smooth and uneventful. Here are a few tips that you must follow after Hemangiomas Treatment in Dubai:
- In case of bruising and redness in the treated area, apply cold compresses.
- Apply the prescribed ointment to the skin as recommended by the doctor.
- Do not expose treated areas to sunlight.
- Apply sunscreen lotion when going out during day time.
- Do not pick or scratch the scab or crusts resulting from laser treatment for hemangiomas.
- Avoid touching treated areas unnecessarily. When necessary, wash your hands with antibacterial soap.
There are many benefits of Hemangioma treatment. Some of these benefits are as follows:
- Laser treatment for hemangiomas is generally safe and effective, but individual results may vary.
- Laser Treatment for Hemangiomas is virtually painless.
- The treatment does not involve cuts and incisions.
- Laser Treatment does not cause scarring on the treated areas.
- Hemangioma treatment with lasers does not require downtime or a long recovery time.
- There are no severe side effects or complications associated with Hemangiomas treatment.
Schedule a Consultation
For more information on Hemangiomas Treatment in Dubai or to schedule a procedure, visit us at Laser Skin Care Clinic in Dubai. Moreover, you can benefit from our offer for online consultation with our experts by simply filling in the form given below.