Numerous skin conditions can affect a person at various stages of life. Some of them can be present at the time of the birth or develop soon after and are known as birthmarks. Hemangiomas also fall in this category. Hemangiomas occur on the surface of the skin due to abnormality of blood vessels. There are several types of Hemangioma. In order to counter them, there are treatments available. But before discussing the treatment course for Hemangiomas in Dubai, let’s have a detailed look into what these nevi are, their types and symptoms, and what causes them.
What are hemangiomas?
Hemangioma Dubai comes from Greek terms “haema” which means blood, “angeio” which means vessel and “oma” which means tumor. Hemangiomas are benign tumors that are formed by the accumulation of blood vessels at one spot in an unnatural manner. Usually they are present at birth or can form soon after birth, though they can form later in life as well.
Types of Hemangiomas:
Not all Hemangiomas are the same and there is some variation in them. On the basis of their color and types of vessels that cause them, Hemangiomas in Dubai are divided into following types:
- Strawberry Hemangioma: These are spots and patches on the skin that generally have dark red color, as the name strawberry suggests. Mostly these red patches occur on the neck and face. They can occur at any age but most commonly they occur by birth or just after the birth.
- Capillary Hemangioma: In Capillary Hemangioma, tumors arise in the capillaries (tiny blood vessels).
- Cavernous Hemangioma: In case of Cavernous Hemangioma, tumors arise in the veins of vascular system.
- Compound Hemangiomas: These nevi result from a combination of capillary Hemangioma and cavernous Hemangioma.
- Arterial or Plexiform Hemangioma: These are the benign tumors that appear in the arteries of vascular system.
- Intramuscular Hemangioma: This type of hemangiomas causes tumors present in the tissues of the muscles.
- Internal organ Hemangioma: As the name suggests, these occur in the internal organs of body, most commonly in liver and intestines.
- Bone Hemangioma: The name is self explanatory. They occur in the skull or spine and are more common in people having age between 50 and 70.
What are the symptoms of Hemangiomas?
Superficial hemangiomas usually don’t show any symptoms except for pigmentation. However, internal organ hemangiomas may cause some symptoms as they grow large. These include:
- abdominal discomfort
- loss of appetite
- unexplained weight loss
- a feeling of fullness in the abdomen
What causes Hemangiomas?
While the exact cause of hemangiomas is still unknown, researchers believe that they can be caused by:
- Genetics and hereditary traits
- Hormonal imbalance, especially disturbed estrogen levels in females
- Overgrowth of a special type of cells (endothelial cells) that usually comprise the blood vessels in the skin
Hemangiomas Treatment in Dubai
Most of the hemangiomas fade away with time without needing any special treatment. But if it persists or starts growing in size, it can be treated and best option is laser treatment. The laser aims to completely remove the lesion or tumor by breaking it down. The process is quite simple and almost similar to Birthmarks Treatment.
- The procedure is performed on outpatient basis and takes just a few minutes in its completion.
- To avoid any potential discomfort, the procedure is performed with local anesthesia. For smaller lesions, even a numbing cream would work.
- Laser beam is then made incident at the hemangioma present at the surface of the skin
- Laser is set at specific wavelengths to ensure that the skin tissue nearby is not affected
- Laser beams penetrate deep into the skin and are converted into heat energy, breaks down the pigmented lesions
- Lasers do not require any cutting or stitching of the skin and help reduce the inflammation
- Cooling device is used to minimize potential discomfort caused by the heat of lasers
Which laser machine is used?
Here at Laser Skin Care Clinic we use following machines for treating pigmented lesions:
- CANDELA GENTLEMAX, the same laser machine used for Skin Whitening
- DEKA CO2 Surgical,
- Q-TERRA Q-switched Nd:YAG Laser
- Asclepion’s MCL 31 Er:YAG
Post Treatment Care:
Laser Treatment for Hemangiomas is safe and does not cause any long term complications, but only if you follow post-procedural instructions carefully. Here are few tips that you must follow after Hemangiomas treatment in Dubai:
- Treated area may be red and mildly bruised after treatment. Apply cold compresses relieve these symptoms
- Apply prescribed ointment to the skin as recommended by the doctor
- Do not expose treated areas to sunlight. Apply sunscreen lotion when going out during day time
- Do not pick or scratch the scab or crusts resulting from laser treatment for Hemangiomas
- Avoid touching treated areas unnecessarily. When necessary, wash your hands with antibacterial soap
- Avoid rubbing or scratching treated areas
Benefits of Laser Treatment for Hemangiomas:
There are many benefits of Hemangiomas treatment.
- It is safe and effective
- Laser Treatment for Hemangiomas is virtually painless
- The treatment does not involve cuts and incisions
- Laser Treatment does not cause scarring of the treated areas
- Hemangiomas treatment with lasers does not require downtime or long recovery time
- There are no serious side effects or complications associated with Hemangiomas treatment
For more information on the Hemangiomas Treatment in Dubai or to schedule a procedure, visit us at Laser Skin Care Clinic in Dubai. You can also benefit from our offer for a free online consultation with our experts by simply filling in the form given below.
I had a hemangioma just behind my right ear. I tried different home remedies but could not get it removed. Then a friend of mine asked me to consult Olimpia Carmen of Laser Skin Care. She used lasers to burn the benign tumor. It took just 4 sessions of laser treatment before my hemangioma was completely gone. Thank you Olimpia, you really are great!
I was born with a benign growth on my wrist that bothered me for almost 25 years. I saw different dermatologists to get rid of that irksome growth but they all excused citing different complications. But Olimpia accepted the challenge and erased that tumor with lasers in just 5 sessions. Can’t be satisfied more!
Birthmarks are always distressing, especially when on face or neck. I also had one on my neck which I always wanted to get rid of and I finally decided to undergo laser treatment earlier this year. Now my neck does not have a slightest mark of the hemangioma. I am extremely satisfied with the services offered. Won’t hesitate to visit the clinic again!